Friday, April 20, 2007

The small things....

I am really trying to pay attention to the small things in life. I mean really looking to see God's hand in my life in EVERYTHING, the good and the bad. So, today, maybe was some of the bad stuff, I apparently caught a tummy bug from who knows where. It hit me around noon and needless to say, not much was accomplished since then. Yeah, it was a little harder to notice the "blessings" while feeling so icky but I did it anyway. I am determined to make this a habit. The first thing that really touched me was Aaron, my oldest. He is very helpful and he knew I wasn't feeling well. He asked to go to a friend's house and I told him he could go for a while ( just down the street). I was outside trying to see if the fresh air would perk me up and taking the puppy out too. Ian was running around the yard playing and I just wasn't feeling like playing. Well, I was surprised to see Aaron come back home after only a few minutes. I asked him to play with Ian on the swing for a few minutes and he happily said sure. Well, then he wanted to take Ian to play on the big dirt hill in the back. My heart just melted as they gathered up Ian's Tonka dump truck and another truck and set off across the yard. Ian riding in the Tonka and Aaron pushing. It was so nice to see my boys together just having fun. Aaron is such a good big brother. I am blessed to have such a great teenager to call my son!
The second time I had to stop to thank God was this evening, I was laying on the couch and the kids were just being so so good, no arguing, no fighting....the two little ones were right there beside me and the big kids were doing their "thing". Kristen was playing on the computer and when I came in to check my email, she had sent me an e-card. She sent the cutest feel better card that really made me smile. She has such a heart of gold and is so thoughtful. I am blessed to have such a sweet girl. Last but not least, I am blessed to have the husband I do, he was out late last night, worked all day and had to be out again tonight (he is gone now). Well, he had planned to come home and nap for a couple hours before he had to leave. I had planned to go to the store when he got home but he went for me since I was laying down. Then, he came home and cooked dinner which meant he only had about 20 minutes to lay down before he had to go. He works so hard for us and never complains. I know he is a blessing from God!
It is so amazing to me, how the Lord really is present, no matter where we are, or what we are doing...or as was my case today, how we are feeling. I have for so long been pushing Him away, just trying to live my life and not really paying attention to what was really going on. It isn't that I didn't think He was there, more like I chose not to acknowledge His presence. As I am trying to focus more on him, I am realizing just how much I have been missing out on. Christ offers us so much joy and hope and peace if we will just accept His offer. The past couple years, I haven't been accepting the offer, instead I have been putting my hands over my eyes and trying not to see. What a loss!! No, I am not proud to say this, but it is true, I am ashamed at the way I have been. My heart just feels so much lighter again now that I have opened my eyes and turned my focus back to where it should have been all along. I praise God that He NEVER leaves us, even when we push Him aside. He is always there waiting with open and loving arms for us to come back to Him. My prayer is that I am disciplined enough to stay on track and to keep looking for His hand in all parts of my life and to praise Him for EVERY blessing, no matter how big or how small....even on the icky tummy days, He is amazing!
Psalm 59:17 O my Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love.
1 Chronicles 16:9 Sing to him; sing praises to him; tell of all his wondrous works!
Psalm 30:12 that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!
Psalm 40:3 He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord.
Psalm 42:11 Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.

No comments: